Henry and Clara Malloy Collection
The collection contains music programs from Fort Hays State College, church and oratorio programs, recitals, and sheet music. There are many photographs of the Malloys, as well as postcards. The collection also contains newspaper clippings, grade books from Henry Malloy, letters of recommendation written by Henry Malloy and correspondence between Henry Malloy and his students. There is also a brochure rom Bethany College.
Conditions Governing Access
Items cannot be removed from the University Archives. Please ask for the assistance of the Archivist when handling these items.
Conditions Governing Use
Written permission must be obtained from the Fort Hays State University Archives and all relevant rights holders before publishing quotations, excerpts or images from any materials in this collection.
.5 Linear Feet
Henry and Clare Malloy came to Fort Hays State College in 1913 he taught chorus as a faculty member of the music department and she tutored students in violin and vocal music. After Henry’s death in 1937 Clara Malloy continued to be an active part of the Fort Hays State College community until her death in 1974. Their collection includes music program, sheet music, photographs, postcards, newspaper clipping and correspondence related to their careers at Fort Hays State College.
Biographical / Historical
Mr. Henry E. Malloy was employed by FHS to teach chorus in 1913. In 1914, he became the head of the department, which soon grew rapidly, with six new instructors added. Mrs. Clara Malloy was the wife of Henry Edward Malloy. She graduated from Bethany Conservatory in Lindsborg and was certified in the violin in 1903 and in voice in 1910. She came to Fort Hays State College with her husband in 1914 from Lindsborg, Kansas. Henry Malloy headed the Music Department and Clara tutored students in violin and vocal music. Clara and Henry Malloy toured around Western Kansas recruiting many new students for the music department. They also started many programs at FHS, one of which was the Spring Music Festival which brought acclaimed international performers to Hays and started the tradition of presenting annual oratorios. In 1919, at the first music festival, Mr. Malloy directed a 700 voice chorus to sing Handel’s “Messiah”. By 1922, the festival was attracting artists like Madame Schumann-Heink, Rosa Ponselle, Ernest Davis, the New York Philharmonic and the Minneapolis Symphony. In 1928, Henry Malloy brought the first metropolitan opera to Hays. He also invited hundreds of boys and girls to participate in music contests on campus. His efforts at bringing music to western Kansas helped increase the number of high school bands in western Kansas from 38 bands in 1913 to 180 during his tenure at FHS. Henry Malloy died in 1937 and in 1967 Malloy Hall was named in his honor. Mrs. Clara Malloy continued to present the Henry Edward Malloy Award to an outstanding senior musician each year after his death and she continued to attend all events sponsored by the Music Department for as long as her health permitted. She taught violin for 54 years and was a member of the Hays Civic Symphony for 40 years. Mrs. Malloy died in 1974 at the age of 91.
Materials have been arranged to preserve the original order.
- Revised by David Obermayer
- 2016; 2018
- Description rules